This asynchronous self-paced short course covers the foundational knowledge of mathematics concepts such as statistics and linear algebra required to prepare you for the further pursuit of data analytics. Topics include plots, functions and graphs, matrices and vectors, statistics, probability, sampling and hypothesis.
This is a fully online module administered by the School of Interdisciplinary Studies, Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
- Understand the fundamental mathematical concepts that is applied in data analytics
- Apply basic computational techniques to manipulate functions, linear algebra (matrices and vectors) and obtain statistical measures for descriptive and inferences purposes.
- Make primary sampling decisions and hypothesis testing inferences.
Course Date: TBC
Application Period: TBC
Duration: 16 hours
Delivery Mode: Asynchronous e-Learning
This course is an asynchronous online Course (self-paced).
Ngee Ann Polytechnic reserves the right to reschedule / cancel any programme, modify the fees and amend information without prior notice.
Plots (2 hours)
- Interpretation of common plots in data analysis such as bar graphs, line graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, histograms, cumulative frequency diagrams and box-and-whisker plot
Functions and Graphs (2 hours)
- Polynomial (Quadratic)
- Applications of function types in machine learning
Matrices and Vectors (2 hours)
- Interpreting vectors and matrices
- Basic manipulation of vectors and matrices
- Applications of vectors and matrices in data analysis
Statistics (2 hours)
- Descriptive versus inferential
- Measures of central tendency (mean, median, mode)
- Measures of statistics such as mean of grouped data, quartiles & percentiles, range, standard deviation, variances, correlation and covariances
Probability (4 hours)
- Measure of chance
- In a single event
- Simple combined events
- Addition and multiplication of probabilities
- Permutations and combinations
- Conditional probabilities
- Binomial distribution
- Normal distribution
Sampling (2 hours)
- Concepts of population, simple random sample
- Sample mean, variance
- Sample means from normal population
- Central limit theorem
- Calculation and use of unbiased estimates of population mean and variance
Hypothesis Testing (2 hours)
- Concepts of null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis
- Critical value, level of significance
- 1-tail and 2-tail tests
- Interpretation of hypothesis test in context of problem
Online Assessments. Certificate of Performance or Participation will be awarded
Applicants should have basic numeracy skills with at least 10 years of mathematics education.
Funding period for this course is from 7 Apr 2021 to 30 Sep 2024.
All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses. Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website (www.skillsfuture.sg/credit) to choose from the courses available on the Training Exchange course directory.
Enhanced training support for SMEs
For enhanced training support for SMEs, enter SME in the promo code during course application.
Long Term Visit Pass Plus (LTVP+) Holders
Please furnish the following documents to the course administrator to qualify for SSG funding:
Self-sponsored learner (**LTVP+): Copy of your green visit pass card, with the word ‘PLUS’ on the back of the card.
Co-sponsored learner (##LTVP+): Copy of valid and current Letter of Consent (LOC) from MOM
Ngee Ann Polytechnic reserves the right to reschedule/cancel any programme, modify the fees and amend information without prior notice.
(Course fee is payable upon acceptance. It is inclusive of 8% GST and subject to review.)
Please note that the GST rate will be revised to 8% with effect from 1 Jan 2023, as such any payable course fees will be subjected to the new GST rate adjustments in 2023.
Please refer to our FAQs for more information.
|Applicants / Eligibility||Fees|
|Full course fee||$972.00|
|Singaporeans aged below 40 qualified for SkillsFuture Funding||$288.90|
|Singaporeans aged 40 & above qualified for SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy||$108.90|
|Singaporeans qualified for Enhanced Training Support for SMEs||$108.90|
|Singapore Permanent Residents & **LTVP+ qualified for SkillsFuture Funding||$291.60|
|Singapore Permanent Residents & ##LTVP+ qualified for Enhanced Training Support for SMEs||$111.60|
|Others (and Repeat Students)||$972.00|