Cats can be quirky, playful, aloof, affectionate and most of the time, very independent. But although they make relatively low-maintenance pets, caring for your ‘purry’ companion does take some know-how if you want your feline friend to be happy and healthy.
This workshop is perfect for any cat owner, new or existing, to acquire practical and essential skills on providing optimum care for their cat.
You will learn the basics of medical and health care as well as methods to keep your cat in a hygienic but stimulating environment.
You will also gain a good understanding of the rules and regulations of keeping a cat in Singapore.
Application Date: 23 Jan 2024 – 03 Mar 2024
Duration: 1 day
Time: 9am to 5pm
- Perform basic physical examination on your cat
- Perform basic ear cleaning and nail trimming procedures
- Perform a body condition score
- Understand nutritional needs of a cat at different stages
- Identify the food types which are toxic to cats
- Create a secure environment for an indoor cat in a high-rise building
- Provide a mentally enriching and stimulating environment for a cat
- Work with the layout of a house so that it is suitable for a single- or multi-cat household
- Various types of preventive medication and vaccinations, and on the common zoonotic diseases carried by cats
- Minimize the chances of contracting any zoonotic diseases from a cat
- Understand feline vaccination protocols, internal and external parasite control
- Administer pills and liquid medication to a cat
- Understand the pros and cons of sterilizing your cat
- Interpret the body language of a cat
- Acquire knowledge on the rules and regulations of keeping a cat in Singapore
Dr Dawn Wong is a graduate of the University of Melbourne. As a licensed veterinary surgeon in Singapore and the United Kingdom, her special interests include feline medicine, soft tissue surgery, and veterinary acupuncture. Dr Dawn also lectures for the Specialist Diploma in Veterinary Clinical Practice and the Diploma (Conversion) in Veterinary Clinical Science at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. She owns three cats, three dogs and a hamster
This course will be delivered in English and has NO assessment.
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to learner who meet the 75% attendance requirement.
All Singaporeans aged 25 and above can use their $500 SkillsFuture Credit from the government to pay for a wide range of approved skills-related courses. Visit the SkillsFuture Credit website to choose from the courses available on the Training Exchange course directory.
Ngee Ann Polytechnic reserves the right to reschedule/cancel any programme, modify the fees and amend information without prior notice.
(Course fee is payable upon acceptance. It is inclusive of 9% GST and subject to review.)
GST Increment in 2024
Please note that the GST rate will be revised to 9% with effect from 1 Jan 2024. As such any payable course fees will be subjected to the new GST rate adjustments in 2024. Please refer to our STEP portal for the updated fees. (Click on STEP.)
- The fees below are determined based on prevailing funding policies and subject to review and revision.
- Please refer to our FAQs for more information.
|Applicants / Eligibility
|Full Course Fee