Acquire knowledge on the fundamentals of solar photovoltaic (PV) technology and design and installation of standalone and grid-connected PV systems.
What you will learn about the key fundamentals of the solar photovoltaic (PV) technology from this course, including the ability to apply the knowledge to the design and installation of stand-alone and grid-connected PV systems inclusive of design criteria for lightning protection for a PV system.
Application Date: TBA
Course Date: TBA
Course Timing: TBA
Ngee Ann Polytechnic reserves the right to reschedule / cancel any programme, modify the fees and amend information without prior notice.
This course consists of 7 modules:
- Solar Radiation (air mass, energy density, sun radiation in Singapore)
- Types of solar cells
- Standard Test Condition (STC) & IV curve of solar cell
- Electrical characteristics of a solar cell
- Module configuration ( series-parallel of solar cells in a module, effect of shading, hot spot
heating and use of bypass diode)
- Module mechanical and electrical structure consideration
- PV modules
- Selection of batteries
- Use of charge controller
- Choice of inverters
- Sizing of DC cables
- Stand-alone system sizing and design
- Grid-connected system types and advantages
- System sizing and economics
- Obtaining interconnection agreement
- Net metering
- Sizing of grid-connected system
- Lightning protection & surge protection
- Earthing of grid-connected PV system
- Safety standards and requirements
- System performance & design parameters
- PQ standards & measurements
- Case studies
- Site: Ngee Ann Solar Technology Centre
Mong Ping graduated from the University of Edinburgh with a BSc in Electrical & Electronics Engineering. She also holds a MEng degree in Solar Photovoltaics and Power Operation from University of New South Wales, Australia. She has years of experience in the supervision of final year students in energy conservation and renewable energy projects. She is the module leader of Photovoltaic Technology in the School of Engineering and also teaches Circuit Analysis.
A Certificate of Participation will be awarded to participants who meet the 75% attendance requirement but did not pass all required assessment(s).
This course is suitable for Mechanical and Electrical technicians, assistant engineers and engineers who are interested to acquire the knowledge of photovoltaic technology and learn how to design PV systems.
SkillsFuture Credit Funding available. Terms & Conditions Apply.
|Applicants / Eligibility||Fees|
|Singapore Citizens (SC) & Permanent Residents (PR)||$128.40|
|Enhanced Training Support for SME Scheme (SC & PR)||$48.40|
|SkillsFuture Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy For Singaporeans||$48.40|
|Full Course Fee||$428.00|